Ben-Nasser
@Bennasser•France

Is an impeccable listing still enough to get 5⭐️?

Hi everyone 👋

I get the feeling that, nowadays, a clean, well-located accommodation that matches the listing... has almost become the minimum expected.

What really makes a difference seems to be increasingly found elsewhere:

communication, anticipation, responsiveness, attention to the guest, and how to handle unexpected situations.

So, the real question is:

For you, are 5⭐️ mainly earned thanks to the accommodation… or thanks to the experience created around it?

And if you had to choose one single element that turns a stay from “very good” to “excellent,” what would it be?

I'm curious to read your opinions, because I don't think we all have the same view on this.

14 replies12 hours ago
Select a reaction

Airbnb’s official space for hosts

Ask for advice, share tips and celebrate wins all in one place.

14 Replies

Tuija
@Tuija2•Finland

ii

1 reply7 hours ago
Select a reaction
Ben-Nasser
@Bennasser•France

I'd actually be curious to hear your opinion: In your view, what really makes the difference today for a guest to leave 5⭐, beyond the cleanliness of the space?

7 hours ago
Select a reaction
Geraldo Rocha
@GeraldoRocha•Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

In Brazil, trying to check in early and check out late has become fashionable. If you don't allow it, it becomes a reason for a 3-star rating.

3 replies11 hours ago
Select a reaction
Ben-Nasser
@Bennasser•France

you, Geraldo. That's very interesting, because it also shows how much expectations can vary depending on the markets and guests' habits.

But your example raises a real question: Where do you personally draw the line between offering excellent hospitality and preventing certain additional services from being considered automatically owed?

I'd be curious to hear your thoughts on this, especially regarding early check-in and late check-out.

2 replies11 hours ago
Select a reaction
Geraldo Rocha
@GeraldoRocha•Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

At my property, I stopped accepting, without fear of retaliation in reviews. Whenever I get a reservation, I send a message asking if the guest has taken note of the check-in and checkout times, and the arrival and departure flight times. If they need more time at the property, I suggest they book an extra night for either check-in or check-out, so they can have a more comfortable trip, without rushing and without stress. And I put an end to charging an extra fee for early check-in or late check-out. Also because the small extra fee isn't worth it – it would take up one more night.

1 reply8 hours ago
Select a reaction
Clara/CB
@ClaraCB116•Pensacola, FL

THIS is the big question and you asked it perfectly. For different guests it is possible different but I'd guess that mostly the expectations are now more than most hosts have on their radar. A clean place like they see in photos is a must...THEN upon arrival the guests experience truly begins....and any less than easy, perfectly understandable and welcoming communication is critical...when guests really feel welcomed and when there's a situation of any sort .. if the hosts will always step back and try to stand in the guests shoes it will change everything. Truly making no assumptions or judging is tricky but a winning combo, totally my opinion. The big one: ask the guests HOW can I help? When they know you are truly more into making sure they have a great experience than anything else...you will never worry over 5*.

this is my take on it for almost 10 years now....with 5* star reviews! Thanks Ben🫶

5 replies12 hours ago
Select a reaction
Ben-Nasser
@Bennasser•France

Thank you very much, Clara, for this very thorough feedback. Your comment about really putting yourself in the guest's shoes particularly resonates with me.

I do think that a big part of the experience lies in this ability to anticipate without making assumptions: to understand what the guest might need and to show them that we remain available if needed.

And almost 10 years with this philosophy and 5-star reviews is great confirmation that this approach works over the long term.

4 replies11 hours ago
Select a reaction
Clara/CB
@ClaraCB116•Pensacola, FL

thanks for your comments and bringing this most important question to the front! 🙏🏻👍

3 replies10 hours ago
Select a reaction
Hattie
@Hattie_birdhouse•Playa Grande, Costa Rica

For me, when I am a guest, if the space is clean, matches the listing and the host is kind/easy to communicate with then I will give 5 stars. If they go above and beyond with extras in terms of items available, solving a problem, etc then I will reflect that in a thorough and detailed review.

In order for me to leave a review that is 4 stars or less, there needs to be something specific that happens and is not handled well, the space is not clean or comfortable, things like this.

A good stay vs an excellent stay to me is defined by the same things. Good communication (without feeling overbearing) and comfort items available. Things like coffee, good shampoo, salt pepper and oil to cook with, etc.

1 reply12 hours ago
Select a reaction
Ben-Nasser
@Bennasser•France

you, Hattie. Your response is very interesting. I really like the nuance of communicating "without being overbearing," because I think there really is a balance to be struck between being very available to the guest and letting them quietly enjoy their stay.

And I totally agree with you about the little touches: individually, they may seem insignificant, but when added together, they can completely change the perception of the stay. Thanks so much for your reply 🙏🏽

11 hours ago
Select a reaction
Ben-Nasser
@Bennasser•France

Hi everyone 👋

I get the feeling that, nowadays, a clean, well-located accommodation that matches the listing... has almost become the minimum expected.

What really makes a difference seems to be increasingly found elsewhere:

communication, anticipation, responsiveness, attention to the guest, and how to handle unexpected situations.

So, the real question is:

For you, are 5⭐️ mainly earned thanks to the accommodation… or thanks to the experience created around it?

And if you had to choose one single element that turns a stay from “very good” to “excellent,” what would it be?

I'm curious to read your opinions, because I don't think we all have the same view on this.

Ryan
@Ryan4504•San Diego, CA

I have a tenant running an EV charging cord through the kitchen window to charge their Tesla. How do I regulate this?

Valerion Apartments And Hospitality
@Nik1998•Albania

Hi everyone! 👋

I’m a new host from Tirana, Albania, and I’d love to connect with more experienced hosts and get some honest feedback.

I started hosting around 45 days ago and currently manage several apartments located near Tirana International Airport. The apartments are designed mainly for short stays, airport travelers, couples, families, and guests visiting Albania.

So far, the experience has been very positive. We’ve started receiving bookings and our first reviews, and I’m really happy with the feedback we’ve received from our guests so far.

However, since I’m still new to hosting, I know there is a lot I can improve.

I’d really appreciate your honest opinion on my profile and listings:

• What do you think I’m doing well so far?
• What could I improve in my photos, descriptions, pricing or listing setup?
• Does my profile look professional and trustworthy from a guest’s perspective?
• Are there any mistakes or missed opportunities you notice?
• What advice would you give someone who is in their first few months of hosting?
• And what would you personally focus on to increase bookings, reviews and visibility on Airbnb?

I’m happy to receive honest and constructive criticism. I’d much rather learn from experienced hosts now than repeat mistakes later.

Thank you in advance, and wishing everyone lots of successful bookings and great guests! 🏡

Best regard!

Julio
@juliocramirez•Mexico City, Mexico

There are guests who have booked with me and, for some reason beyond my control, they don't arrive or don't check in to the accommodation. The problem is that they write reviews with malice and frustration. I think that if they don't use the property, they shouldn't write reviews, because they harm the hosts.

Alexis
@Alexandre308•Montpellier, France

Hello everyone,

I have been a Superhost since 2013, and I am now facing an absurd situation with customer support.

The facts: Following the early departure of a guest (Véronique) on Wednesday, September 30 (for 3 unoccupied nights), Support processed a refund of €300.

Airbnb's mistake: The agent who handled the case issued a manual refund without changing the reservation dates in the system. Result: My calendar remained blocked under the guest's name until the supposed end of the stay (October 3).

The loss: In addition to deducting €300 from my earnings, Airbnb physically prevented me from relisting my property and renting it out again for these 3 days. This is a direct double penalty caused by a procedural error on the part of an agent.

Support handling: Since Thursday, it has been an ordeal: promises to call back that were never kept, untimely closure of tickets by agents, and refusal to take into account the loss of earnings caused by their own technical error.

Have other Hosts managed to obtain compensation for this type of internal error by a Case Manager? How did you get your case out of the automatic level 1 support loop?

Thank you for your feedback!